“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”Audrey Hepburn – ISFP
are known for their strong empathy, compassion, and gentleness when dealing with people. They have strong inner values that they may not share readily with others, but these values lay the foundation for all their beliefs and actions. Their values and this sense of compassion for humanity come from their masterful Introverted Feeling (Fi) function. ISFPs also have auxiliary Extraverted Sensing (Se) which gives them a keen eye for beauty and details in their outer world. ISFPs are often drawn to careers in art, performance, crafting, dancing, fashion, or anything that allows them to be visually expressive or create beauty in some tangible way. ISFPs have an easy-going, optimistic nature and love to discover new experiences and atmospheres. Like all Adventurers, ISFPs live in the moment and enjoy taking advantage of opportunities as they arise.
What Does ISFP Stand For?
I = Introversion. ISFPs focus inwards before responding to the outside world. They gain energy from alone time when they can reflect on their own thoughts.
S = Sensing. ISFPs prefer to focus on what is real and current. They prefer to talk about experiences and focus on what exists and how to maximize that. They are more aware of current realities than abstract possibilities.
F = Feeling. ISFPs apply personal values and ethics to their decisions. They want to live in congruence with their moral code and they consider the emotional impact a decision will have on themselves and others.
P = Perceiving. ISFPs like having a lot of options and tend to be adaptable and spontaneous. They like to mix work with play and enjoy an exploratory approach to life.
ISFP Motivations and Weaknesses
- Driving Force. To live a life in alignment with their values and ethics. To stand up for a cause that they believe in. To maintain inner harmony and integrity with one’s self.
- Backup Strength. Awareness of the world around them and how to use their surroundings to achieve their aims. Highly realistic, observant, adaptable, and attentive to what’s happening around them.
- Weaknesses: May be disorganized and have difficulty maintaining structure and efficiency. They can struggle to be objective and logically consistent in decisions.
- Stressors: Lack of alone time, conflict situations, rigid rules and schedules, unstable relationships, being forced to fake an emotion or mood, feeling cooped up, dealing with impractical people.
ISFP Personality Traits:
While people vary based on their upbringing and Enneagram type, ISFPs often have the following characteristics:
- A strong set of individual ethics
- A free-spirited approach to life
- A strong sense of aesthetic taste
- An inner-directed sense of what’s right or wrong
- A strong attention to detail
- Compassion for underdogs or misfits
- A flexible, relaxed approach to life
- A unique ability to “read” people and situations
- Attention to the present moment
- Ability to stay calm in crisis situations
ISFPs are realistic dreamers who want to make a practical difference in the lives of people. Whether they are performers or surgeons, everything an ISFP does has to line up with their deeply-held values and sense of purpose. ISFPs are often drawn to careers that will help people in real ways; they are over-represented among healthcare workers and law enforcement personnel. Many ISFPs are also drawn to artistic fields where they can put expression to their complex inner worlds and values. Highly empathetic individuals, ISFPs bring insight into human nature into everything they do.
Popular jobs for ISFPs:
- Health care worker
- Fashion designer
- Animal groomer/trainer
- Landscape architect
- Art therapist
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Jonathan Ive, Thich Nhat Hanh, Michael Jackson, Prince, Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Jimi Hendrix, Kate Bush, David Bowie, Lady Gaga, Trent Reznor, Janelle Monae, Ryan Gosling, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Avril Lavigne, Enya, Jonsi, Pharrell Williams, Nina Nesbitt.